University of Chicago Medicine
At the forefront of medicine since 1927
With a history dating back to 1927, the University of Chicago Medicine has been advancing the forefront of health by bringing research closer to a more accessible reality through the advanced treatment and care of our patients.
UChicago Medicine’s physicians and researchers have helped shape modern medicine. They’re proven pioneers in organ transplantation, the genetics of cancer, chemotherapy, and life-changing digestive disease treatments among many other breakthroughs. The 12 Noble Prize laureates affiliated with UChicago Medicine are fruition of our long tradition of groundbreaking medical research.
Today, UChicago Medicine operates four inpatient hospitals and 10 ambulatory facilities around the Chicago area, including downtown Chicago, the city’s south suburbs, and northwest Indiana. Developing projects include plans to build a new $633 million, 500,000-square-foot freestanding cancer center and additional outpatient centers.
We have about 1,200 doctors and 3,000 nurses who provide care across all medical and surgical specialties.
Clinical Center of Excellence
At UChicago Medicine, we are committed to advancing medicine to offer patients the best treatments. We offer a full spectrum of specialty care, including six clinical centers of excellence:
Comprehensive Cancer Center
Our Comprehensive Cancer Center is committed to exploring and developing innovative ways to prevent and treat cancer through a collaborative research program. With more than 200 cancer specialists, cutting-edge research, and improved treatments, we are attacking cancer from every angle. Our organization is a National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer and nationally ranked by U.S. News & World Report.
A few distinctions of the cancer center include:
- First site in U.S. to be certified for FDA-approved CAR T-cell therapies for specific blood cancers in both adult and pediatric patients. More than 150 patients have received these infusions so far.
- More than 200 bone marrow/stem cell transplants are performed each year, with a superior patient survival rates.
- One of the top three centers in the U.S. for Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy (HIPEC) for both adult and pediatric patients.
- Novel therapies and treatment plans for HPV-associated head and neck cancers.
- One of the country’s first centers to offer Peptide Receptor Radionuclide Therapy for neuroendocrine tumors.
- Approximately 100 Whipple procedures are performed each year for pancreatic cancer patients.
UChicago Medicine’s transplant program has a long history of breakthroughs that have defined the field. The health system’s Transplant Institute continues to be a world leader for lung, liver, kidney, pancreas, and islet transplantations with one of the shortest wait times and lowest mortality rates. Our experts use revolutionary approaches that produce exceptional outcomes. UChicago Medicine’s Transplant Institute is:
A world leader in multi-organ transplant for the sickest patients. More than one third of all the heart-liver-kidney triple organ transplants done in the U.S. were performed at UChicago Medicine, including the world’s first back-to-back heart-liver-kidney transplant.
One of the few centers offering liver autotransplant for tumors in hard-to-reach locations.
The first hospital in Illinois to use ex vivo lung perfusion (EVLP) to prepare donor lungs for transplant, increasing the number of available donor lungs and decreasing the risk of life threatening complications.
Offering the least-invasive technique for nephrectomy (kidney removal), which involves making a single, small incision inside the belly button to conceal the scar afterward.
One of a few U.S. hospitals to offer autologous islet cell transplantation after total pancreatectomy.
Heart and Vascular Center
UChicago Medicine has some of the nation’s best minds in cardiology, cardiac surgery, and vascular surgery. Newsweek ranked UChicago Medicine as one of the top 50 best hospitals in the world for cardiology care. We are known for our expertise in complex cardiovascular conditions and boast nationally acclaimed heart transplant, bloodless cardiac surgery, and robotic heart surgery programs with:
- The best heart transplant program in the U.S: 5-star rating from the Scientific Registry of Transplant Recipients (SRTR) for our expertise in heart transplants:
1. Volume: More than 1,000 heart transplants.
2. Shortest: The shortest wait times in the nation for receiving a donor heart.
3. Best: The best survival rates in the country for heart transplant patients (1-year adult patient survival: 100% – SRTR Jan. 2022).
- More than 300 bloodless cardiac surgeries.
- More than 2,000 procedures in robotic heart surgery.
UChicago Medicine’s neuroscience program has assembled a team of neurological experts highly skilled in evaluating and treating the most complex and challenging nervous system disorders. Our physicians have demonstrated expertise in helping patients whose diagnoses are considered untreatable at
other hospitals. The center is:
- A Comprehensive Stroke Center by the Joint Commission.
- A Level 4 Epilepsy Center by the National Association of Epilepsy Centers.
- The nation’s first Center of Excellence for Cerebral Cavernous Malformations (CCM).
- One of the first hospitals to treat Parkinson’s disease with drug pumps and spinal and brain electrodes.
UChicago Medicine offers a full range of orthopaedic care, with our surgeons, sports medicine specialists, physical therapists, and nurses working together to prevent, treat, and rehabilitate injuries and illnesses.
Our orthopaedic center offers:
- The region’s premier orthopaedic oncology program treating tumors and cancer, with a distinguished history dating back over 50 years.
- Internationally renowned sports medicine program.
- The regional leader in minimally invasive spinal fusion surgery and one of the few centers using robotic technology in spinal cases.
- One of the nation’s leading centers, and the only Midwest training center, for robotic hip and knee replacement surgery.
Pediatric Care at Comer Children’s Hospital
The University of Chicago Medicine Comer Children’s Hospital provides innovative medical care to children with all types of medical problems. We combine advanced technology with a family-centered, kid-friendly philosophy, setting national standards of care for all children. We admit roughly 5,000 patients from the Chicago area, the Midwest, and around the world each year. Our hospital is:
- One of the country’s few centers to offer I131-MIBG therapy to neuroblastoma patients.
- First site in the U.S. to be certified for FDA-approved CAR T-cell therapies for specific blood cancers in both adult and pediatric patients.
- One of the nation’s most experienced pediatric epilepsy centers.
- First in the world to perform pediatric robotic bladder reconstruction.
- One of the largest pediatric cardiology programs in the U.S. with over 600 pump cases performed annually.
Our commitment to the world
UChicago Medicine is committed to providing the best treatment options and personalized services for international patients who come to Chicago for medical care.
We also support the improvement of health care globally by bringing international standards and innovative practices to hospitals around the world.
Customized Care for International Patients
Our multilingual and culturally diverse team is dedicated to meeting our international patients’ needs, serving as a single point of contact before, during, and after their experience at UChicago Medicine.
Our featured international patient services include:
- Clinical triage and management of care by experienced medical directors.
- Scheduling of medical appointments.
- Escort of patients to medical appointments.
- Complimentary certified medical interpretation in more than 50 languages.
- Complimentary private airport pick-up/drop-off.
- Complimentary private transportation to/from each medical appointment.
- Lodging arrangements with local hotels, apartments, and corporate units at discounted rates.
- Assistance with cultural orientation and concierge services for dining and entertainment.
We have been building new bridges to bring UChicago Medicine’s unparalleled practices to the rest of the world. We are committed to supporting our international partners to improve clinical quality and operational effectiveness through our tailored programs. Examples of advisory projects to share our knowledge and skills include, but are not limited to:
- Facility planning and development
- Clinical and research program development
- Quality improvement and patient safety
- Operational optimization
We also offer practical education and training programs customized to meet the specific needs of international healthcare organizations and professionals.
The types of global education programs include:
- Leadership education
- Clinical observership program
- Global clinical conferences
- Hospital management training
Contact UChicago Medicine International Programs
If you want to learn more about UChicago Medicine’s International Programs, refer a patient, or explore collaborative projects with us, please visit our website at www.uchicagomedicine.org/global or email us at email@example.com