Dr. Hisham Abu Al-Saud
Endocrinologist at NMC Royal Hospital - Khalifa City
“We adopt a multidisciplinary approach to diagnose and treat endocrine disease”
NMC Royal Hospital provides all necessary tests to diagnose and follow up on endocrine disease, in addition to diagnostic radiology, such as X-rays and MRI, depending on the need of each case. The hospital also provides a team of medical staff with the highest level of expertise in the field of endocrinology, as well as an integrated team of dieticians and nurses to raise health awareness among patients. The endocrinologist at NMC Royal Hospital – Khalifa City, Dr. Hisham Abu Al-Saud, spoke to the “Hospitals” Magazine about the most prominent medical services provided by the medical team at the hospital.
The endocrinology team treats patients over the age of 16 who require diagnosis and ongoing management of medical conditions affecting the endocrine system, including:
- Type 1 and type 2 diabetes
- Adrenal gland disorders
- Pituitary hormone disorders
- Endocrine disorders, including hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism
- Thyroid cancer
- Osteoporosis (a condition in which the quality and density of the bones is reduced)
- Vitamin D deficiency
- Hypercalcemia (high calcium levels in the blood)
- Hypocalcemia (low calcium levels in the blood)
- Paget’s disease (a disease that causes fragile and misshapen bones)
- Osteoporosis associated with organ transplants
The team of endocrinologists also treats obesity, in addition to running tests and managing diseases related to it, such as:
- Polycystic ovary syndrome
- Hyperlipidemia (high cholesterol)
Endocrine Disease Diagnostic Tests
The endocrinology team adopts a multidisciplinary approach to diagnose and treat endocrine diseases. On the first visit, the patient is required to provide a detailed medical history and undergo a physical examination. Depending on the symptoms experienced by the patient, the doctor requests a specific set of laboratory tests and radiographic examinations. These tests may include the following:
- Blood and urine tests: These tests use blood or urine samples to measure certain hormone levels.
- Radiographic examinations: They provide images of a specific organ or area in the body and include: X-ray scans, CT scans, MRI, thyroid and parathyroid imaging, and radiography to measure bone density (also known as dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry that assesses bone mineral density).
- Glandular function tests: Two or more samples of blood are taken at specific times, as some pituitary and adrenal gland disorders require this type of test.
Treatment of Endocrine Disease
The treatment provided to the patient depends on the diagnosis, which is often with medication. Radioiodine therapy is used in cases of thyroid cancer and thyroid disorders. However, surgery may still be required, and in this case, endocrinologists cooperate with surgeons at the hospital.
Certain health conditions, such as diabetes, lipid disorder, and obesity, require a consultation with a dietician and patient counselor, who both constitute a part of the endocrinology team. Follow-up visits are determined according to the health condition of each patient. Doctors may ask patients to rerun laboratory tests and radiographic examinations during the follow-up period, if necessary.
All members of the endocrinology team have extensive experience in endocrinology and metabolism. The team includes:
- Nursing staff
NMC Royal Hospital Khalifa City is considered to be the flagship hospital within the NMC Group with 500 beds, the NMC flagship hospital Royal Khalifa City is a tertiary referral center treating not only Covid-19 cases, but also its patient base, which relies on its pediatric ICU, neonatal services, cancer program, and international collaborative research initiatives. It’s the only hospital that holds a tripe 9 rating in the emirate of Abu Dhabi, meaning it can receive emergency cases on behalf of Government hospitals. Strategically located between Abu Dhabi and Al Ain, the facility is extremely accessible for immediate medical care, as well as hospital transfers.